Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Installers

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Installers
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 01:41:20 -0700

Andreas Tille wrote:

> Just try to care
> for people who do not find GnuMed in their distribution and have
> to install GnuMed at their own.

Andreas, I agree with this last point. If we adhere to this, and make a
nice tarball which will install for users without a distribution, or who
want to install it without an rpm, deb, or ebuild, then we have done our
job and the packagers life will be easy. For users who have to install
Gnumed on their own, distutils is the only solution I know of. Most
python packages that I download which aren't in Gentoo, I can easily
install by reading the README, which usually just says "run 'python
setup.py install'". This installs to my
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/ and puts everything else in the proper
locations, such as docs. site-packages is automatically in the python
path and everything imports properly. distutils is to python as
configure, make, make install is to C/C++.

Dave

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidandnasha.ca