Re: [Gnumed-devel] call for action

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] call for action
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:31:05 +0200

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 14:36, Ian Haywood wrote:
> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > I strongly disagree with you here. It is no longer true that you cannot
> > do anything with GNUmed. This tale has been told so long that some people
> > will believe it until there will be version 0.1 which does something.
> > GNUmed is nowhere complete featurewise but it is in use in the practive
> > of my parents as a document archive. It is reasonably complete to work as
> > a lab module replacement in my parent's practice as well.
>
> You are still reliant on Turbomed to get demographic data, so long as this
> is the case, gnumed is not really an EHR, but operating as an extension to
> Turbomed.
You are right. I will refine my wording. GNUmed is in use as an addon to a
commercial software.

> If your call to users was to existing users of turbomed, with instructions
> on how you have achieved intregation (which would be fascinating reading,
> although purely academic, for most of us) that's fine,
Karsten has done most of the work but connecting GNUmed to Turbomed is not
hard. That is because Turbomed itself provides some features to interact with
external programs through plain text files (bdt/gdt)

> But it's not, it's to the rest of us struggling with standalone gnumed, and
> this functionality is very limited.
I agree.
> No module works in a way that I would
> be happy to demonstrate to an end-user.
I agree.
> (with the possible exception of the
> docs viewer, does that work standalone? Can you post some wiki docs on how
> to enter new documents?)
It has been there for some time. Yes it works standalone.
http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/DocumentArchive

In standalone mode it does however expect bdt-files for patient names and so
on. If run within GNUmed it will get this information from the currently
active patient.

> > So please do not state GNUmed does nothing and user's can't anything to
> > get us there. We are there already. It depends on what you expect from it
> > !!!
>
> I expect it to, without proprietary software:
>       - create, delete, edit demographics
>       - enter and view simple free text narratives
>       - create, edit, view a past history list
>       - upload and view documents
> Anything less, even as 0.1, will just get us laughed at.
I agree with you but I am not advertising a release here. Call it alpha
testing or whatever. I don't force anyone. I kindly ask for input. I will not
restrict this call to any subgroup of people.

> > See comment below.
> >
> >>To be honest, I do, unless it is made clear this is only a useful
> >> excerise for people who want to develop gnumed or make packages.
> >
> > Yes and no. I am doing that for a reason. I know it is very complex but
> > until someone tells me what the complexity is I won't know. Maybe you do.
> > The point is I want to know where is the first point people fail.
>
> My point is the way end-users will install gnumed will be very different
> (hopefully a lot simpler) than the current install, it's this, simpler,
> process that we want tested and debugged, learning how to install from
> source, for non-coders, is just a waste of their time.
I see your point and do not entirely agree with it. I don't want to convince
you. People are free to decide if they want to waste their time. I would be
glad if anyone wasted some time to help me waste less time in the future.
I see your point with packages but there is more than just packages to a
release. I am afraid just packages won't cut it.

Let's see what happens.

I appreciate your input,
Sebastian
--