Re: [Gnumed-devel] call for action

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] call for action
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:48:57 -0700

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>If I remember correctly there are 80 or so peolple subscribed to this list.
>This is a call for action. If you have never attempted to install GNUmed
>please do now. If you fail let us know. Ask anything you want.
>Please go to gnumed.org and try to install GNUmed. Look there for information.
>If you don't find what you are looking for please report. If you find
>something but you do not understand or if you find confusing or misleading
>information please post to this list or write mail to address@hidden
>I need to know what causes problems. This is you chance. Anything makes a
>difference.
>
>Jim,Tony could you please post this call for action to the exposed pages
>savannah and gnumed.org ? If noone objects, of course.

The first thing that stands out to me is:

1) The documentation on the wiki is pretty much all there but it's a bit
hard to navigate sometimes.
2) http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/DatabaseOnGNULinux
containd some incorrect directories, like server/utils which I changed,
but the main problem with this page is that it is confusing to know
which conf file to use. And at first it says to do this:

/bootstrap_gm_db_system.py --conf-file=<a config file>

then, it says to do this:

./sh redo-public.sh

Well if we look inside redo-public.sh, we see what it is really doing...but why
all the confusion on this page. Just tell us what to do any we'll do it. And
calling 'sh' is silly when #!/bin/sh is in the file. That's just a little
thing, but there are lots of little things.

When I run, it the first thing I get:

-(~/cvs/gnumed/gnumed/server/bootstrap:$)-> ./redo-public.sh
create symbolic link `Gnumed' to `client'
================================
re-bootstrapping public database
dropping old database
Database "gnumed" will be permanently removed.
Are you sure? (y/n) n
=========================
making data for locale AU
./redo-public.sh: line 17: make-postcode-sql.sh: command not found

and the first thing I notice is, "making data for locale AU," but I don't live
in Australia....

It looks like in redo-public it is using bootstrap-de.conf and
bootstrap-au.conf, which is curious to me why someone would want to configure
for an AU locale and a DE locale.

Well, that's it for tonight! More fun next week when I get back.

David

--
David J. Grant
http://www.davidandnasha.ca