Re: [Gnumed-devel] question reg prog note when entering past medical his

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] question reg prog note when entering past medical history item
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:03:45 +0200

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:28:07AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> In the case of a patient reporting a "past history' issue, you might
> enter quite a bit of detail into that "new" (retrospective) health
> issue. Are you asking whether to embed (i.e. copy) the entirety of
> *that* into the Crohn's Disease row?
If you put it this way I clearly see the answer to my
question. The thing is that initially (when entering a new
past medical history item from another encountlet progress
note editor) one is offered a "one-line" field only. Hence the
(wrong) temptation to keep that in the "old" progress note,
too.

> I agree with your idea to NOT do that. It would be analogous, would
> it not, to a patient having 2 issues dealt with at the same visit,
Yes it would, eventually.

> A workflow question. As part of creating a phx item, would a
> selection of soap text of interest
> "11/2004 heavy use of Ibuprofen for acute bout of chronic
> polyarthritis" be lost (unselected) as you type "phx" or would the
> selection be kept by virtue of some special key you would press
> before typing "phx" to invoke an edit area?
Huh, it works in a different way :-)

I hear the patient say: "uh, and then, back when I was at age
11 I underwent removal of the appendix". I think to myself:
"Hey, that's a past medical history item, let's trial that
spiffy new widget the developers tell me I paid my last support
fee for, and curse them if it ain't any good !" So off I go
typing "phx" into the progress note (in a Soap line). Right
after typing the "x" in "phx" up pops the past medical history
widget and I can seemlessly keep typing "s/p append" <TAB> "11
years" <TAB> "thanks $deity we don't need to worry about
appendicitis in this Crohn patient" thereby filling the fields
"condition", "age onset", "progress note". Hitting <ENTER>
will save them into the EMR as a past medical history item
(clin_health_issue), replace the "phx" in the original
progress note line with "s/p append at age 11 years", and
close the popup.