Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on find patient again + gnumed.

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on find patient again + gnumed.
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 17:11:29 +0200

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 07:54:27AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> Sorry, a vague reference to Jean Luc Picard of Star Trek TNG fame
> who, typically at the end of an episode, whenever someone on the
> bridge would ask or indicate preparedness to go ahead with something,
> Picard would say "make it so".
Ah, OK, I get it.

> I just meant, yes, let's keep Kirk around.
Which is at any practice's discreetion. Liz would in her
practice surely want to add Mr.Aardvark for sake of convenience
and being used to it and certainly anyone would applaud that
move.

> But suppose, after installing and bootstrapping GNUmed with basic
> (including test) data, it is decided to keep Kirk around, but to
> "clean out" the rest of the test data. PostgreSQL does allow that
> outside the client (yes?)
Why sure, most definitely. In fact, we can't do anything about
that even if we wanted short of forcing people to use a
specially recompiled PostgreSQL server.

>, or are tables defined in a way to not
> permit that
Well, I restricted DELETE rights on the identity table to
gm-dbo so you'd have to get in touch with whomever is in charge
of that account on your system to get people deleted. The User
Manual even tells you so...

Actually, this just prompted me to add a post-0.1 TODO item:

 allow normal users to hide identity rows in absence of delete rights

> i.e. you would have to "drop" the tables or reinstall
> GNUmed next time importing only Kirk's from among the test data?
Nope.