Re: [Gnumed-devel] Another US open source EMR nearly ready.

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Another US open source EMR nearly ready.
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:39:01 +0200

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 07:16:38AM +1000, Tim Churches wrote:

> See http://www.linuxmednews.com/1116507509/index_html for press release
> and links.
I have reviewed their schema and it seems a bit better (as in
sane relationally) than most that I have seen. I did point out
some criticism regarding the use of MySQL which has been met
with some responsed by others - eg in mission-critical
deployments one should of course be careful about how to
deploy it). I did not go into the criticism that - for the
type of practice I know - web-based isn't suitable. It's
billing is surely advanced - despite it being purely US which
is to be expected.

> Of note is the fact that the medical record
> component can be extended by the clinician by the creation of additional
> forms, without the need for programming.
"the medical record component can be extended" is misleading
at best AFAICT. They don't *have* a medical record *component*.
What they do have is another implementation of OIO (maybe
better) forming a medical record *framework* within which
people can "design forms" to store medical data - about which
the data storage model knows nothing about - it could be
meteorological data or shelf storage data for all it cares.
There is hardly any validation to prevent garbage-in at the
backend level that I can see (I may be blind there).

> Of course the GNUmed project keeps plugging on, making lots of progress,
That sounds a bit sarcastic :-)

> although to an observer like me it feels like the distance to the point
> at which GNUmed is functional is being halved every three months...
If that's the case we'll get there :)   There's precious
few people who do any real work to help. Maybe that's part of the
reason ?