Re: [Gnumed-devel] Feature Freeze announcement

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Feature Freeze announcement
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:36:35 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:58:00 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> I suggest a Feature Freeze for version 0.1 to come into effect
> Wednesday June 1st. This means all features/functionality of
> version 0.1 must be agreed upon before or on June 1st. Adding
> features beyond that will either require working and releasable
> code or else *very strong* advocation.
Good to hear - finally we will show Gnumed to the world :)

Of course I will try to help you fixing bugs and finishing the modules I
maintain.

I tried to figure out what has to be done before 0.1 by looking at the TODO
file, but couldn't find out which tasks are before and which post 0.1 - we will
have to update this file once we will have decided on the functionality we want
to provide.

I looked at the modules that will go in 0.1 - and I am still not quite sure
what we will show and if these modules (Manual, EMR-tree, EMR-journal, Setup,
Patient Details and Progress Notes) are in a presentable state.

You said that we must agree upon the feature list before June 1st, so here are
my comments/questions/etc.:

Manual:
This is quite outdated. Should we update it before the release of 0.1 or rather
link to the wiki ? Or even provide a local copy of the wiki in the release
package ?

EMR-tree / EMR- journal: These plugins show the same information, just the
structure is different. Wouldn't it make sense to combine both in one plugin ?

Setup: well, that's my code, so I better be quiet... Suggestions/wishes welcome

Patient Details: This seems to do nothing but display patient data (i.e.
Add/Del-Buttons do nothing). On the other hand you can register new patients
from the menu bar. Why this separation ? Why not connect the code that adds a
new patient to the Patient Details page ??

Progress Notes: Since the entry field below the notebook label seems to be for
entering the Episode Name, I suggest to put a label there that says "Episode
name:".

> We need testing and bug finding if not fixing. Now.
My impression is that we need to review the feature list first. I'am *not*
suggesting to add new functionality or more modules. I just had the feeling
that the way the functionality is implemented right now might not attract many
persons. Even if 0.1 is just a first release, it should show the *concepts* of
the software. What Gnumed shows right now is less than showing even a
consistent concept (duplicated functionality etc.).
IMHO the users should get an idea of what Gnumed might be like - and this
impression should be positive.

So, here are my suggestions:
- fix the specs for 0.1 so that it shows how a potential user might work with
gnumed. This includes a consistent concept and workflow
- fix and subsequently freeze the data model (backend)
- fix middleware/user interface
- go testing/bug-hunting/fixing
- write a basic user guide describing the concept and typical workflow within
gnumed

BTW, what is the projected release date ? September ?

Regards, Hilmar