Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: tricky

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: tricky
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 18:14:59 +0200

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:46:45PM +1000, Syan Tan wrote:

> the constraints off is for insertion in no particular order, not for
> performance
Ah, I see. Good point. For that one might search the
PostgreSQL archives for "temporarily", "defer", "constraint".

> Attached is a plain old map making parser :
> the map is of the form
>
> table:
>   id1:
>          field :  value, type
>          field2: value2, type2
>  id2:
>
> table2:
>
> I was think you can export the last part of the print output, the
> printed indented
> map ,  as a export file.
>
> The export file contains the original ids.
> Then you transfer the file,
> and a importer  creates the new indexes against the
> second level id keys using the corresponding sequence for each table
Sure, that's another approach.

Is there any flaw with my original reasoning ?

insert into identity (...) values (...);

insert into names (
    id_identity,
) values (
    currval(identity_id_seq),
)

etc.

This would free the resulting SQL from PK/FK dupes, too, no ?

> An intermediate file format means you don't have to a connection to the
> instance of gnumed database you are trying to export to.
I don't think you would have to have one with my original
approach either. Or do you ? Your approach may have other
benefits which I fail to see yet, however.