Re: [Gnumed-devel] Prescription printing in arbitrary countries and serv

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Prescription printing in arbitrary countries and services.
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:40:24 +0200

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 01:58:50AM +0000, Horst Herb wrote:

> 2.) Because reference database can be volatile, the prescription module will
> *not* just store a reference to a drug in the drugef database, but for each
> prescription it will record in full text
For each *prescription* or for each *drug* ever used in a
prescription ? The former would mean that you'd be storing
data on a given drug as many times as you prescribe the drug
(a shame) while the latter means you would have a table
caching the information from the reference database inside the
clinical database - but only for those drugs that were ever
used in a prescription and then only once for each. The
actual *presription* table would then simply point to that
"cache" table.

This is in fact what Hilmar suggested we do in GNUmed and I do
think it is a sensible approach.

> I used to print via generating a KWord (or formerly Abiword) file, but now I
> am really happy with the way printing works in wxPython 2.6.0, so this
> weekend I port my printing modules to use wxPython routines
Is LaTeX too slow ?

> The user interface problem for different national requirements is simple to
> solve:
> 1.) I "draw" the user interface using wxGlade, one for each special
> requirement, but sticking to user interface element naming conventions
> 2.) wxGlade produces a Python module for each such user interface design
> 3.) the  prescribing dialog module inherits one of those generated modules
> programmatically depending on locale
> 4.) since most functionality (including GUI) will be the same for all
> nations,
> these "universal" routines are isolated into a separate module
I have to see this before believing it. I seriously doubt it
is "simple to solve".