[Gnumed-devel] Treatment plans more generally

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Treatment plans more generally
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 17:52:23 -0700

In my other email I suggested

So far we have a hierarchy of
- treatment plan elements
        - treatments that the patient can do on their own
                - can include non-prescription drugs!
                - can of course include non-drugs
        - treatments that require a "prescription" (doctor authorization)
                - non-drug items
                - drug items

A patient's "current medication list" should contain all medicines whether available over the counter, or only by prescription. To my recollection, we have not discussed whether non-traditional (e.g. naturopathic) medicines belong on this list. Does the schema yet allow for anything other than the current medication list, in which to hold "other" treatments? I suppose we already have vaccinations, which are a preventative treatment. I am not sure if we have any place other than that. Treatments that fall among {procedures, operations} are proposed to exist as the labels of clin_health_issues like "status post <operation>" although that would only transpire once the event had occurred (not while awaiting a date of surgery).

I suppose one other place from which to generate parts of the current treatment plan is from the soaP rows that belong to currently active episodes. That would be messy though would it not? All active treatments may not get restated in every encountlet's soaP row, and so to catch them all you may have to include the content of every soaP row from every encounter during the period that the health issue has been active. Yuk!