[Gnumed-devel] script printing code checked in

From: Horst Herb
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] script printing code checked in
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:31:04 +0000

I got sick of playing with wxPython's printing architecture.
Tonight I lost the nerve and rewrite gnumed-mini's script printing using plain
postscript / python templating

It appears to work well and very fast, printout virtually immediately with no
hassles (as long as ghostscript installed or postscript printer

It still has many warts like hardcoded fonts, no automatic line/wordwrap, and
no intelligence (does not distinguish betwen private/subsidized script etc)
but if this concept finds general liking, I will continue working on it.

It has no dependencies other than python built-ins for now - gnumed has to
pass all parameters via a single dictionary

No error handling whatsoever, be warned.

I checked it into /gnumed/gnumed/test-area/hherb/gmPSPrinter.py
and /gnumed/gnumed/test-area/hherb/gmAUScriptPrinter.py

It has no docuemntation whatsoever, but just doing
"python /gnumed/gnumed/test-area/hherb/gmAUScriptPrinter.py" should print a
script with three script items on a standard Australian PBS script form,.
everything in the right place, unless your printer has different x/y offsets
(which I haven't implemented yet). This should serve as an example good
enough to get started.

I tried tonight with various HP inkjets and they all place the text exactly
where they should.

Horst