Re: [Gnumed-devel] re gnu argus postgres port

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re gnu argus postgres port
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:37:30 +1000

Syan Tan wrote:

> I've done a first draft port of the open source argus hl7 mail
> messaging app
>  (which is probably almost obsolete ),
>  which removes the borland dependencies, so it should run using any
> jdbc driver that implements java.sql.Driver ( i.e. postgres)
> It seems to work currently using postgres as a backend in these areas:
> argus server can be configured, and downloads users and stores to
> postgres, mail and attachments.

Great work!

> argus client can read a users mail and attachments from tables in a postgres
> database.
> I haven't figured how to make argus do things with mail rules and hl7
> attachments
> yet.
>
>  *-- Is this useful, and if it is, can I put it somewhere, and where ?

Why not create a SourceForge or Savannah project for it and put it
there? Then alert the Argus people that they can download your source
and incorporate your modifications intot he GPLed version of argus (but
not the commercial version, unless they separately contract with you to
license your modifications to them under a different license).

> BTW, I used eclipse and jdk5 , and have only run it within the
> context of these 2 components.
>
> with respect to gnumed, you could use argus to drop hl7 attachments
> into a known directory, for a gnumed hl7/mail reader to pickup.
>
> Admittedly, you could do this before, but have to learn
> the Borland specific database setup (interbase or firebird) and
> have both interbase and postgres running .

Much nicer to be able to use PG.

> The port was straightforward (but tedious) :
> - move all the update and insert sql from interbase stored procedures into
> data
> classes and execute them as prepared statments inside java methods  using
> jdbc.
> - Also, the statement for primary key value generation is "gen_id( seq, 1)" in
> interbase/firebird and "nextval('seq')" in postgres ( and probably different
> on
> another
> database);
> - and the blob subtype 0 interbase type was replaced with bytea in postgres.

What about the dependencies on teh HeSA (rainbow?) PKI libraries? How
did you work around those? Or do you have the libraries?

Can I cross-post your message on the GPCG (general practice computer
group) mailing list? Or can you cross-post it?

> StoredObjectMessage and StoredObjectMessages is the main class
> that communicates with the javax.mail api . The gnu-mail.jar didn't work
> but the sun mail.jar did. ( gnu-mail returned a null object in getMessages()
> ).

Can you explain the significance of this? What does sum-mail.jar do?

> Argus OS is a useful educational artifact because it's in java and can be
> traced using eclipse, and hence it's easier to jump from method to
> method without getting lost,  and is a good example of common package
> structuring patterns in small application java apps
>
> ( e.g. a sql script package DataManagementDomain,
>     a application solution ProblemDomain,
>   a UserInterfaceDomain package ).
>
>  I found it very comprehensible to read, as compared with
> other open source stuff ( but I'm a java drone, so I would find
> php and perl incomprehensible ).

Very useful to know that as we will need to do a bit of Argus
interfacing in the next few months.

Tim C