[Gnumed-devel] the (wxwidgets) 2.6 issue

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] the (wxwidgets) 2.6 issue
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:01:33 -0700

I am wanting a better understanding of options, and timing, to get past this impasse.

What are the considerations?

Is it a problem that the people who have done most of the client coding don't have enough time to update the existing code to be 2.6-centric?

Or is it bigger, a problem that 2.6 (also) brings with it enough changes that the people who have done the coding to date lack the time to get comfortable / adept at 2.6?

The reason that I am wondering is because if it is a matter of someone doing the "slogging" to bring the existing code up to date, I could be interested to chip in financially and participate in the effort to find someone to do it, provided the size of the job would not deplete what I need to conserve for that anticoagulation clinic project.

However if a one-time infusion of "extra" help would have limited value (e.g. because those coding to date don't yet feel adept at 2.6) that would make a one-time approach a lot less effective.

Would it be useful to try to find / obtain such help or support anyone to take the time to do it? Is there any sense of how much code (I assume it is only the client code) that would need to be updated i.e. how big a job (# of days or hours) it would be?

Thoughts --- illumination & any dispelling of naivety, as the case may apply --- appreciated.