Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:14:40 +0200

> yesterday I tested the Gnumed-package on WinXP. I
> installed all required software packages as specified in the
> Wiki.
> I wondered why gnumed on Windows uses wxWidgets2.6 when we
> usually use wx2.4.
Do we really say so ? I did not realize that. Checking ...
True enough. IMHO it should say 2.4. Maybe that's where the
bugs we see are coming from.

Hilmar, please do test against 2.4 or 2.5 on Windows if you
find the time.

> However,
> there are massive problems when updating the notebook pages
> (branches of trees are not shown etc.,
Strange, Sebastian did not report that ?

> pages are not updated correctly after switching tabs).
This we are working on. I suspect it has to do with the
following: on Windows wxWidgets does not properly report the
page the notebook is switching to. Thus we cannot test
whether that page can receive focus. We implemented a hack
but I believe the hack was faulty. I have since check in a
patch to that code that is better instrumented for seeing
what's going on and also includes a "cleaner" hack. So,
please do update your cvs tree when reporting further (or
use the snapshot tarballs provided in the Wiki)

> Additionally, after
> selecting a patient Python uses about 100% CPU, while gnumed
> continues to work (you can switch tabs and they still work).
I seem to recall Python appearing to use 100% CPU on Windows
in some circumstances being discussed on the python list. It
may have to do with idle loop handling or threading.

> If you are interested in log files feel free to ask.
Sure, any time.