Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:33:10 +0200

Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp
Date: Sunday 24 July 2005 01:20
From: Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden>
To: Tim Churches <address@hidden>

On Sunday 24 July 2005 00:50, you wrote:
> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 July 2005 23:34, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>yesterday I tested the Gnumed-package on WinXP. I installed all required
> >>software packages as specified in the Wiki. It doesn't crash (that's the
> >>good news) and seems to do what it should, i.e. get the data from
> >> backend. However, there are massive problems when updating the notebook
> >> pages (branches of trees are not shown etc., pages are not updated
> >> correctly after switching tabs). Additionally, after selecting a patient
> >> Python uses about 100% CPU, while gnumed continues to work (you can
> >> switch tabs and they still work).
> >
> > We are working on it. I ahve no idea how to fix this right now. Log file
> > is inconclusive to me. Looks like a screen redraw problem.
> >
> >>I wondered why gnumed on Windows uses wxWidgets2.6 when we usually use
> >>wx2.4. That way it's difficult to say if this behavour is cause by bugs
> >> or incompatibilities with Windows or with wxWidgets2.6.
> >
> > You can use 2.4. I changed that part in the wiki. It doesn't seem to make
> > a difference.
>
> I installed the GNUme 0.1 clinet on WinXP with wxPython 2.4 and Python
> 2.3 and the other recommended libraries. I had to edit gnumed.bat to
> chnage the path tot he fiels to "C:\program Files\GNUmed-client" -
> "Program Files" is the default installation path on all English language
> versions of Windows.
>
> The client then appeared (eventually) but I was unable to view any
> existing patients (none offered) and was unable to add any new patients
> because it kept saying that DOB had to be in YY-MM-DD format - no matter
> what date format I tried, same error message. It wouldn't let me change
> to any other tab without a patient record loaded.

That part actually should work. Try 'kirk' in the search field and hit enter
Glad you tried GNUmed so I get some feedback. I expected worse reports :-)

> The BMI and EDC tools
> worked but didn't print out. At that stage i concluded the test, since
> there was nothing else that appeared to even vaguely work.

Thanks for testing

> Sorry if the above seems negative, but that is an accurate account of my
> experience with the GNUmed v0.1 client. Still, having a client which
> actually displays something (even if it doesn't work) is a big step
> forward for GNUmed.
>
> Oh, the error messages kept telling me to look in teh logs. Where are
> they being written?

Depends. Look at the shell that opens when you start GNUmed. Or search for
gnumed.log. On my box it get written to the currents users's local files
folder. I have no idea what the name is on non-German windows versions.

You can however specify the path to the logfile in the gnumed.bat.

use '--log-file=<your path and filename here>'

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany