Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:16:43 +0200

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 06:15:00PM +1000, Tim Churches wrote:

> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > You report the exact same error I am seeing on my box. These problems don't
> > surprise me. Noone has ever put GNUmed to the test on Windows for the last
> > few years it seems. None of these problems appear on GNU/Linux which is
> > recommended anyway. My testing makes me believe that once we solve the
> > diplay
> > update problem we are good to go.
BTW, switching to wx2.6 does NOT solve the Windows issues,
unfortunately.

> OK, glad to know it is not just my stupidity (which is a quite likely
> explanation for most things...). However, my feeling is that unless
> GNUmed works well on Windows, you'll never attract a big enough user
> base
I tend to agree for the time being which is why I keep
working on it.

> I agree that the installation on Windows is painless - it took me about
> 5 minutes, including downloading and installing all the requisite
> packages (and uninstalling Python 2.4 which I already had on my Windows
> box, although I probably didn't need to uninstall).
You are right. There are no *Python* issues I am aware of
that should stop GNUmed working with Python 2.4.

> By contrast, I still
> can't get wxWidgets to work on my Fedora Core 2, 3 or 4 systems.
Tell you what, get yourself a Debian Sarge system (takes
about 2 hours off your life) and most if not all of those
worries are gone. I recently switched my machines and it's
simply painless.

> It is wxWidgets on Linux which is the hassle. It's because I compiled
> all sorts of versions of GTK on those machines to try to get a video
> post-processing application working - but now wxWidgets refuses to
> compile or install from an RPM. I think I need to re-install Linux (or
> maybe try a Debian-based distro on a different partition).
I strongly recommend that. Get an additional 40G disk, get a
drive bay to swap boot drives and install Debian on that
disk.