Re: [Gnumed-devel] further testing / bugs

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] further testing / bugs
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:38:43 +0200 (MEST)

> Von: address@hidden
> Quoting Hilmar Berger <address@hidden>:

> This has been our problem since the earliest days, apparently a "proper"
> set of requirements exists, in German. Richard has published good
> descriptions of his VB client, but they are not (quite) detailed enough
> to code from
> (the coder is forced to infer some aspects behaviour) but at the same
> time too strict from a structural perspective
> (wxPython (by design) doesn't let you control widget appearance as easily
> as VB)
So our first TODO item is to transfer existing requirements from the German
source (BTW, where is the latest version of this document to be found ?) and
from Richards specs to some place in the wiki and insert them into the
appropriate topics. Then we should review them, topic by topic, and try to
finalize them.

> Another problem is we often simply don't agree on some functional aspects.
> For example Richard and I find the episode-issue-problem-encounter system
> too
> complex, we would be happy with a flat set of time-ordered progress notes
> for 1.0, let alone 0.1.
Well, if the expectation differ much and it is impossible to integrate all
ideas in one concept we should try to write a design document for both
concepts. Then we can decide on which of both will be implemented first or,
if enough coders are at hand, who will do what. Given independent UI and
middleware layers this should be possible (although not always easy).

> The wiki should also include a (techically-oriented) page on how data
> makes its
> way from a backend table to the widget and back, to make sure all coders
> are
> singing from the same songsheet.
This is IMHO another problem: document already existing functionality. It
shouldn't be mixed up with the process of writing good specs. Documentation
of middleware/backend and inter-layer communication is something which is in
the responsibility of coders, as usually they are the ones who know about
the technical details of the implementation.

Hilmar