Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNotary

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNotary
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 13:01:06 +0200

On Saturday 27 August 2005 12:33, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:19, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > An updated GNotary client is available at
> > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnotary/client/0.1/
> >
> > This version does not require a python installation. Just unzip into a
> > directory and you are ready to go.
> >
> > Currently there are two gnotary servers to choose from.
> > Client works with both but only the one at gnotary.de supports the new
> > features. Those are explained at www.gnotary.de
> >
> > Beware the site is in German until the guys from LE-PC (who extended
> > GNotary) find the time to implement gettext for perl.
> >
> > source code of the rewritten severpart and extended client will be made
> > available in October or mailed to you upon request.
> >
> > Please report issues to me or the GNotary mailing list
> > at savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gnotary
> >
> > Happy testing. Once the web interface has been translated I can make
> > non-free accounts at gnotary.de available to active GNUmedders for
> > testing.
>
> Only the windows client seems to be on the website at present (and not as
> up to date as the ftp site). I noted that there will be a free trial period
> and then a charging system.
> how will that work?
> Liz
Hi Liz,

I am glad you asked. The confusion arises from the fact that my day has only
24 hours and I more or less focus on getting my final exam done.

The website is not uptodate. We (me and some other students) have a developmet
site up which will replace gnotary.de every now and then. We are not in live
mode yet.

What we did is simple. We took the GPL GNotary code and hacked a web portal
for it to offer advanced features. Those include storing the certificates for
you, mailing you reports at intervals, mailing you printed copies for backup
at intervals, mailing you a CD every now and then, allowing you to send us
gpg encrypted mails. We also offer to publish the hash in a newspaper which
makes it even harder to manipulate.
Those are non-free services as it costs us a bunch of money.
We offer four subscription types. Free, Basic, Business, Premium.
You don't even need to register if you only want to use the free service.
Free service means. You mail us a hash. We sign it. You get it back. We don't
store, we don't track it. You are on you own. If you need more service we
will charge you.

How ?

You pay a monthly fee which includes CD, paper copy, report ... This packages
includes a resonable amount of mails we will process for you. If you need to
send more mails, you can by mail pakages.

How does that sound ? Does this makes sense or not ?

So why do you need GNotary ? It should make it a lot easier to prove to a
court that you did never change your digital documents. Be it a backup, a
ultralsound recording, whatever.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hilbert