Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on a running 0.1 version

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on a running 0.1 version
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:28:44 +0200

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 07:21:09PM +1000, Richard wrote:

> Searching:
> =======
> - I still find the 'enter name here' tag unnecessary
We can leave that field empty. Someone earlier complained
that they did not find the "search patient" widget. That's
why the tag was added in the first place. Adding a label to
the box wastes screen estate. What is your suggestion ? I
don't care either way.

> and annoying because
> giving focus to that window does not necessarily highlight the text needing
> often a doubleclick to highlight it to delete it
Code making that more intuitive is more than welcome. I
agree sometimes having to double-click is annoying.

> -typing in '*' fails to bring up all names,
Are you sure you want that ?  All 130000 names in my test
database ?  Would you agree to put a hard limit on the
number of names it returns ?  Or do you think we must invent
a paging mechanism ?

> - searching for a non-existant name andwhen no results returned it assumes
> you
> want to add a patient and brings up add patient screen. The commonest error I
> make in my medical records program is to mis-spell the name I'm after. Don't
> really want to have to continually cancel an add patient, how about an option
> button on this dialog or a default behaviour.
making this optional is a good idea -> TODO

If someone gets up and codes option checkboxes into message
dialogs (such as in Mozilla) I will sure as hell use it.

> -If I've added two patients say peter smith and petra smith and type in
> 'smith' to seach by, doubleclicking on the list searches and brings in the
> patient. Clicking the activate button simply drops the dialog off and leaves
> only a surname.
Yes, there is roughness around this corner.

> -Is the 'addnew' meant to bring up the add new patient dialog?
Actually, yes.