Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows: the pain of pyPgSQL

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows: the pain of pyPgSQL
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:50:39 +0200

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 09:29:39AM +1000, Ian Haywood wrote:

> > The problem list consists of open episodes (regardless of
> > whether they belong to a health issue) and significant health
> > issues (which are Grunderkrankungen). Thus "problems" can be
> > of type "health issue" (think "past history item") or
> > "episode".
> Somehow we need to make this clearer visually.
I agree.

> I know everyone hates tree widgets,
> but IMHO it woud be logical to have a (pre-expanded) tree widget with the
> health issues
> (and "Default", or "Unattached") at the toplevel and the open episodes (NB
> only Default
>  can have more than one episode) on the second level.
I agree. It does not even have to be a true tree widget as
in being functional as one (eg no need for
expansion/folding). It should just *look* like one :-)

What you call "Default" health issue - we already have that.
However, it's a *virtual* health issue - it doesn't exist in
the database, eg the episodes under it are not attached to
any health issue. Thereby it can indeed harbour several open
episodes as opposed to real health issues. Because that is
only enforced at the database level.

> Plus, just to formalise things, IMHO we should have four "rules":
Good. Rules are good.

>       - saving a SOAP note without selecting an episode
      silently creates a new episode under the default health
      issue
Precisely, we do that already (in HEAD).

>       - connecting  a SOAP note to a health issue silently
      creates a new episode under that health issue (I assume we
      do this already)
Yes. We do that. We need to add some code, though, to
possibly close possible open episodes on that issue. And for
that we'll need the timeouts you mention below.

>       - new episodes are named after soAp, if blank then Soap.
Agree. Already doing that in HEAD.

>       - episodes unused for 3 months (configurable) are silently closed.
Agree. The "silently" needs to be optional, too, however, as
some people will not like GNUmed to change the status of an
EMR by itself.

Ian, that's precisely how CVS HEAD works now :-)

What do you think is a good time for checking for closeable
episodes ?

When activating a patient ?
When activating a progress note editor/viewer ?
When saving an episode that is attached to a health issue ?

The last one would have the least unintended impact, I guess.

While the closing should be (optionally) silent should we
not at least display a status message which does not require
user interaction ?