Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.1 on Windows XP

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.1 on Windows XP
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:48:16 +0200

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 20:58, J Busser wrote:
> Performance from Canada connecting to Salaam (Spain)
> - Start > Programs > GNUmed  to log-in screen ~ 5 seconds
> - log-in screen to progress thermometer of plug-ins loading ~ 15-20 seconds
> - plug-in loading to display of main GNUmed screen "no patient selected"
> ~ 5-10 seconds
> - search "kirk" to display of "Capt. James Tiberius Kirk" ~ 20 seconds
> - click Patient Details tab --> display of details in ~ 2 seconds
> - click "EMR tree" tab --> display in ~ 83 seconds (coffee time)
> - click "Progress Notes" tab --> display in ~ 35 seconds
> - click "EMR Journal" tab --> display in ~ 3 seconds
> - click "Setup" tab --> display in ~ 4 seconds
>
> I noticed in the log that it "retrieved the EMR" in 15 seconds yet it
> took 83 seconds to display. Is that because of the amount of work
> done by the code to post-process the information before it can be
> displayed in the desired form? Is this something Jonas could help
> with?
No way. There are two reason for this.

1st. We have a big problem with WIndows regarding display updating. This needs
to be fixed. We all know this. Noone seems to have the time and/or skills to
do it. Certainly not me before my finals.

2nd) Depends on you physical location and/or internet speed. When I use salaam
I get connections which are roughly 5-10 times slower than with a local
database but at least 10 times as fast as yours so it seems.

> Upon login the "manual" tab is blank of contents. Is that because it
> depends on being "clicked" before it will refresh? It does so after I
> load a patient and then click back on manual. Is there a way to
> trigger GNUmed to 'auto-click" whatever is the first plug-in which I
> assume will always be the tab that is "open" upon loading GNUmed?
I know this behavior. Needs fixing. Haven't looked into it.

> Sorry I forgot an answer (if there was one) but upon logging in I
> cannot click any other tab (not even Setup) until a patient is
> loaded. Do plug-ins by default require a patient to be loaded, and
> shall we have a way to "unbind" those plug-ins that may not require
> any patient to be loaded?
In another post I described that Windows version has some quirks. Some of them
cannot be fixed easily and need bad workarounds. Starts with non-English
interface, display updating, plugin locking ...

Note that Karsten and I are developing this on Linux. Maybe it was a mistake
to supply a Windows version now. Because I cannot support it. I don't hate
Windows or anything but I have to focus. I did my best to get it running
Windows  but I cannot cater for every OS. I don't have regular access to a
Windows machine.

> Immediately when I clicked "EMR tree" I could do nothing else. Maybe
> that is by design, is it intended that I not be allowed to click to
> Patient Details or any other Patient-related tabs while the fetching
> and rendering of EMR tree data is occurring?
>
> re my earlier complaint about the left side of the EMR tree showing
> "nothing". This happened again, not every time, but sometimes, and it
> happened after I had already activated Kirk and had already brought up
> (after 83 seconds) the EMR tree displayed below. What I noticed a couple
> of times was that after clicking Progress Notes, and then coming back to
> EMR tree, there was no content in the left pane i.e. "Capt James
> Tiberius Kirk EMR" down through "ttt" were entirely missing and there
> was nothign there but white space, while the right pane continued to
> show "Summary ======= Allergy: Penicillin, developed urticaria...
> During one such occasion, the left half did refresh unprompted after
> more than a minute. On another occasion it didn't though I can't recall
> if that time the right pane (Summary) info was missing as well. That log
> is contained at bottom.

Try resizing the GNUmed windows. Most of the time it will refresh. Or simply
use Linux. It simply works and is not !! hard to install. It's a lie. Just
use Sarge and you will be running in no time.

I get the feeling that most of you have neen testing this on Windows. I know
that I suck because I still don't get that I should focus on Windows instead
of Linux. BUt since there seem to be millions of Windows users with far
better Windows and programming skills than I have it shouldn't be too hard to
find a competent hacker to fix this problem. Should be easier than to find a
Linux hacker.

Windows verison of GNUmed has not been tested as much as Linux. May things
change for future releases. I am here for questions. Some will call me
ignorant again but I mostly scratch my itches before I devote time to other
operating system (which I don't have and which I lack the skills for)

Thanks for your feedback. Please resend this message again after October 17th.
I might have the time to take a look. But hopefully bugs will be fixed by
someone else before that time.

> C:\Program Files\GNUmed-client\bitmaps>set PYTHONPATH=..\;
>
> C:\Program Files\GNUmed-client\bitmaps>set
> PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C
>
> :\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Odbc\FILEMA~1;c:\\Python23
>
> C:\Program Files\GNUmed-client\bitmaps>REM set LANG=de_DE
>
> C:\Program Files\GNUmed-client\bitmaps>cd c:\
>
> C:\>cd PROGRA~1
>
> C:\PROGRA~1>cd GNUmed-client
>
> C:\PROGRA~1\GNUmed-client>python ./bin/gnumed.py
> --conf-file=C:\PROGRA~1\GNUmed-
> client\gm-0_1.conf --debug
> log file is [C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\.gnumed\gnumed.log]
is the real log file