Re: [Gnumed-devel] emrjounalplugin.py comments further html work

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] emrjounalplugin.py comments further html work
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:19:45 +1000

James,

Regarding your comments on complexity I agree we have to look beyond the
single encounter visit.
As you mentioned, having to input SOAP notes as we do currently, we end up
with

 S - Having trouble adhering to diet. Checking ~ 2x daily, staggered
 times, 9-13 mmol/L
 O - Last A1C 0.09% ( is it under O we would comment on test results,
 or under A?)
 A - Agrees to incr meds while continuing effort at wt loss (Duh! <> A)
 P - Incr metformin 500->850mg bid
       (using whatever trigger text would activate the medication list)

 S - Noted slight drainage on socks past 3 days. No
 pain/red/fever/trauma but new shoes 7d ago.
 O - (Details of exam)
 A - Whatever
 P - Whatever

The essence of the encounter which we as a doctor immediately grasp is that of
poor diabetic control - ie the patient comes in, maybe for something else, we
note his last hba1c was 11.5, and we tend to think in terms of what are we
going to do about this problem, not particularly what the presenting symptom
is. The difficulty becomes, how to translate this to the computer - if you
enforce a structured consultation it is always going to be difficult to enter
via a SOAP note because we don't always think in that order.

If you simply have a past history list, select 'diabetes' and add clinical
notes, you and I would probably end up with something you listed above, yet
written more like what I"ve shown below: - note here this makes sense to us
without lables (including incorrectly entered data such as you have put above
in the Assessment field - which is really part of the plan, whears the
assessment would have been 'poor control'.

Diabetes
=====
 - poor control:
        Having trouble adhering to diet. Checking ~ 2x daily, staggered
        times, 9-13 mmol/L
        last A1C 0.09% ( is it under O we would comment on test results,
        under A?)
        Agrees to incr meds while continuing effort at wt loss
        Incr metformin 500->850mg bid

- diabetes mellitus (foot care)
        Noted slight drainage on socks past 3 days. No
        pain/red/fever/trauma but new shoes 7d ago.
        (Details of exam)
        Assement Whatever
        Plan Whatever'

Sure the computer could in some instances generate a format that makes sense,
but I have a horrible increasing suspicion the more and more I play with this
(which BTW I do constantly day after day in/in between real consultations
testing how they would fit), that trying to enter data in this structured way
is a ***no goer*** in the long term, and will lead to enormous frustration
for the doctor, and ambiguity to anyone else reading the notes, and worse
than that, doctors eventually entering data in a format which they find easy,
or that they know the computer will 'make sense of' but not real data in
their words.

Now, gasp, sigh, but please all take this in:

The more and more I play with this type of data entry in my consultations, ,
the more I'm coming around to Malcom Irelands view (and I suspect Horsts and
David Guest's as well) that we need a large single textbox to collect all the
information we type in,  use our own intelligence to aggravate and format
this within this text box, and use the smarts such as popup phrase wheel to
provide the time saving mechanisms to save typing complete words/phrases, ,
provide the popup structured data entry edit area's when needed (eg
vaccination, scripts, past history item etc).

Regards

Richard