Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed install made easy - maybe

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed install made easy - maybe
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:28:30 -0700

On the subject of klik

At 6:47 PM +0200 9/17/05, Andreas Tille wrote:
 > What you
 > have in mind might be some kind of testing / advertising for end users.

Even after debs are available, would klik have value for debian (or at least
non-debian) distributions?

I am thinking

1) although a doctor may arrange for someone to support the practice management system the doctor might as a hobbiest or for home access to the practice info install or re-install Linux at home. If the support people prefer to have the practice members using some other distro, klik (if it better supports non-debian installs) could make it easier for the doctor to set up the access from home. If course now I think that is stupid because it is better to have their actual practice system appear as a default or at least selectable choice in the client which would not happen from a klik install. So we are back to klik only for GNUmed evaluation.

2) but my second use-case was going to be for patches. So I am wondering whether, especially once GNUmed is in use, a critical patch particularly on a security or patient safety issue could be important to be implemented quickly and maybe faster than all distros can have a custom deb or other binary. Now you might say "well that is a job for the support person" but sometimes the right local support people are not always accessible quickly enough and if we are talking something about a client (and if we did succeed in getting enough doctors to use Linux from home) that would be a lot of home-based copies of clients that would not need to be remotely accessed by support people which could be a big advantage.