Re: [Gnumed-devel] Newbie

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Newbie
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:42:08 +0200

Hi ! Welcome to GNUmed.

I am curious which installation instrucations did you follow ?
Have a look at http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/WebHome

On Monday 26 September 2005 14:01, hamish steiner wrote:
> I just downloaded GnuMed from CVS. Im on win XP, Python 2.4, have all
> required files etc.
> I have put the files in C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\GnuMed
> When I run gnumed.py  it stops at the first check,
>
> ie
> CRITICAL ERROR: Cannot load GNUmed Python modules ! - Program halted.
No big deal. You did not configure your environment properly. That can be
corrected. May I suggest you grab a binary installer (*.exe | ask me | see
wiki link above ) first and take a look where it installs the files.

If you know your way around computers you can figure it out by looking here
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/dists/Windows/gnumed_from_cvs.nsi

This file is the cooking recpie for building packages on MS Windows and
therefore contains the locations where I put the files

http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/BinaryPackages
is a description how to build pages. I have no information about your computer
skills. Iy you feel this information does not help you please email again
with info on what you are capable of so I can help you at an appropriate
level

> Please make sure you have:
>
> - the required third-party Python modules installed
> - the GNUmed Python modules installed in site-packages/
> - your PYTHONPATH environment variable set up correctly
>
> If you still encounter errors after checking the above
> rquirements please ask on the mailing list.

GNUmed creates a log file o every startup. Please provide us with this file.
Since I don't know how you started GNUmed exactly I don't know where on your
system this file is located. Its name is something like gnumed.log

> Any suggestions?? Do I need to get the
> C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\GnuMed\gnumed\gnumed\client\pycommon
> pycommon folder and move it to 'site-packages'???
> Suggestion??
Try above suggestions.

> Just out of interest, I am quite new to python. I am trying (almost
> finished) to write a small program
> that looks at the Medical Director patient database, extracts the names
> from it and then lets my staff
> at the front desk enter a short message. Ie David Brown needs script for
> aropax.
I know of other doctors from AU on this list so maybe the can help you.

Sebastian Hilbert
GNUmed release manager

--
Sebastian Hilbert