Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed needs your help

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed needs your help
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:12:10 +0200

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:21:06PM +0200, RKI Andreas wrote:

> >>I'm afraid of the effect that other practice management systems
> >>are drawing many developers on their side just because they make
> >>much noise.
> >MySQL + PHP
> >
> >No need to say more.
>
> Observe the general MySQL hype
> compared to other DBs.  I'm currently suffering from the decision of
> people in our institute who are complete Linux newbees but have the
> power to decide the distribution we will use in the future (SuSE).
> The same people will decide for MySQL and PHP once it will come to
> the tools we will use and will ignore other experiences.
>
> So, you need to say more for your target audience ...
???

MySQL + PHP being used promise a harvest of low-hanging
fruit faster than many other approaches including ours
(PostgreSQL + Python + wxPython + stubborn backend
developer). So what more is there to say, really ?

Perhaps that we don't want to entrust our medical data to a
database that's truncating integers and neither enforces
ACID compliance ?