[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed needs your help

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed needs your help
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:59:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 address@hidden wrote:

 gnumed-common: Depends: python (< 2.4) but 2.4.1-0ubuntu2 is to be installed
                                                    ^^^^^^^^
Please do not file a bug report to the Debian BTS if you are running an Ubuntu
maschine.  Some people (not me) are a little bit allergic to be bothered with
problems that are not their own problems.

But, please remove the python < 2.4 restriction. CVS runs on 2.4 with no
problems.

Hmmm, that's not that easy.  I'm sure GNUmed works also with 2.4 and thus I
did not explicitely added the Python version.  The relevant line in
debian/control says:

   Depends: ${python:Depends}, debconf (>= 0.5)

which automatically inserts the default Python version which is currently 2.3
on Debian and 2.4 on Ubuntu.  While I could perfectly make an explicite 2.4
dependency on the packages I would have in consequence put the Python files
as in usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnumed as well as in
usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnumed .  I could do this by doing some
symlinks between single files etc.  IMHO this is not really worth the effort.

What I could reasonable do is just to prepare GNUmed for Python 2.4 and add
an explicite Python2.4 dependency to the package.  This should also work for
Sarge users which should have Python 2.4.1.  What do you think about this?

BTW, using an explicite Python 2.3 dependency should work for Ubuntu as well -
at least I hope that also a Python 2.3 package is provided.  Could you verify
this please and tell me, what you prefer.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de