Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed install made easy - maybe

From: Adrian Midgley
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed install made easy - maybe
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 11:44:42 +0100

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 18:47 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> IMHO an end user should ask a service company to install his box with the
> software he needs (at least for practice management systems).

This implies - demands - an ecology of such companies.

Commercial

Public
------
In the UK there is the National COmputing Centre, in Manchester, which
among other things maintains a testing lab for public bodies.  These are
specifically local government bodies - city and county councils - but
health orgs can get in under sponsorship from one of them which would
not be impossible to arrange.

I have a contact at NCC...

Task
----
So the task, whcih is part of productionising the system, and therefore a
background task but one that needs to not be put off forever, is to construct
that ecology, which implies making it easy for a company to discover what they
need to know about installing and supporting the software, and the users.

This is I think subtly different from producing an easy install for an only
slightly experienced user.

It is also a large task.

--
Adrian Midgley