Re: [Gnumed-devel] Barcode printing

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Barcode printing
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:00:15 +0200

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 13:57, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> I've added a brief note in the wiki.
Ah. Interesting.

> I'll contribute my code very soon, it isn't complicated or very good, so
> don't laugh please, but it is now in production use in the Practice.
Please note that some code regarding barcode usage is hidden in the CVS.
Somewhere in the document archive if I remember correctly.

I got two cuecats flying around here as well and they are indeed useful.
The can be turned into ordinary barcode readers. python code to make use of
them does exist for non modded cats. Modified cats just emit normal keyboard
codes I believe.

> It is one of those introductions, like computer network dictation
> handling, that is recognised from the start as a good thing, and taken
> up cheerfully.

I have just taken a quick glance at your documentation but it looks to me what
you are about to do with lab barcodes would be immediately useful for my
parent's practive. Our lab gives out barcodes/stickers and returns the string
(number) via online lab data fetching.

> I'm looking at 2D barcoding for forms now.
Regarding the document archive.  GNUmed's document archive produces a
hopefully unique identifier for paper documents. Right now we are wrriting
down this identifier by hand. I have been looking at scanners which can print
labels/barcodes as they scan in the document.

I envisione something like this :

Using a sheet-fed scanner (double sided maybe) I will scan in a bunch of
documents. To separate the bunch I thought about putting a black/white sheet
inbetween logically connected paper sheets. This would serve as separator
sheet to the software. I have researched this and it should be possible.

Then I would feed the bunch of sheets to standard printer which in turn would
apply the barcodes to each sheet. The scanning process would generate the
barcodes and keep a list for printing.

Most of the code is there already. Scanning works. Indexing works. Viewing
works. See Wiki. What has to be done is the barcode printing part. For that
part it doesn't matter if one uses a highprofile multipage scanner or scans
page by page.

To avoid code duplication regarding your project I would be glad to be
involved early.

Regards,
Sebastian
--