Re: [Gnumed-devel] Barcode printing

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Barcode printing
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:18:53 +0200

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 00:55, Ian Haywood wrote:
> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 October 2005 13:57, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > you are about to do with lab barcodes would be immediately useful for my
> > parent's practive. Our lab gives out barcodes/stickers and returns the
> > string (number) via online lab data fetching.
> >
> >>I'm looking at 2D barcoding for forms now.
> >
> > Regarding the document archive.  GNUmed's document archive produces a
> > hopefully unique identifier for paper documents. Right now we are
> > wrriting down this identifier by hand. I have been looking at scanners
> > which can print labels/barcodes as they scan in the document.
> >
> > I envisione something like this :
> >
> > Using a sheet-fed scanner (double sided maybe) I will scan in a bunch of
> > documents. To separate the bunch I thought about putting a black/white
> > sheet inbetween logically connected paper sheets. This would serve as
> > separator sheet to the software. I have researched this and it should be
> > possible.
>
> Could you not mark the separations in software (you have to view them
> anyway to match to patient) which is then reflected in printed barcodes for
> each page.
> Point is you could have a whole bundle of pages to scan which you never
> have to manually separate.
Yes. Both ways are possible. I thought of a drag and drop interface which
displays thumbnails of each page and lets you create stacks of paper.

The auto seperation process with marker pages is another option since our
workflow allows us to create the stack without too much extra effort for
sticking the pages inbetween.

We differentiate between newly arriving documents and archival of whole
patient charts. First one is done on the fly while patient comes in. Second
one is extra work. The three step workflow of the document archive doesn't
cater for the first case very well. So I will change the interface for
scanning in new reports. Don't know exactly how but if the document archive
gets called from a patient window inside GNUmed I would present the compact
two step (scan/index,view) interface.

> > Then I would feed the bunch of sheets to standard printer which in turn
> > would apply the barcodes to each sheet. The scanning process would
> > generate the barcodes and keep a list for printing.
>
> That's a clever idea.
> The danger is any disturbance of the order between scanning and printing.
> Maybe better to have the page printed straightaway with a "page ID"
> (you could bolt the multipage scanner to the printer so it drops the page
> straight into the printer's in tray)
Both options will be supported.

Regards,
Sebastian