[Gnumed-devel] Idea: DermTool

From: ihaywood
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Idea: DermTool
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:29:20 +0800

I've had an idea for another standalone widget.
(or can run from soAp box)
A full-screen dialogue box, the top is a series of checkboxes
such as "erthyema" "nodular" "exudate" "scale" "itch" "pigmented" etc.,
plus drop-downs for "population" (child, adult, elederly), and "distribution"
(truncal, flexural, sun-exposed, whole body, face, etc.)
at the bottom are three boxes. The leftmost displays a list of dermatological
differentials (in order of prevalence) for the entered population and
description. Then you select one, the middle box (the biggest) shows a
photograph of said rash, the rightmost a wxHTML widget holding a full
clinical description, and recommended management.

Personally I find derm a daily struggle and I would find something like
this very useful if only to order and formalise my own diagnostic process.
What do others think?

The biggest hurdle is getting hold of a set of free-as-in-speech
derm images. [I suppose we could just hold a URL pointing to an image on one
of the many online collections and download on-the-spot.]
Horst has already started a little collection at http://tinyurl.com/7cdkt

Ian