Re: [Gnumed-devel] cheetah module

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] cheetah module
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 23:38:51 +0100

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:20:59AM +1100, Ian Haywood wrote:

> > I recommend to change
> > GNUmed in a way so absence of Cheetah will be non fatal.
Well, since Cheetah is available in Debian and anyone can
(have) install(ed) Debian for very nearly free I don't see
that big of a problem.

> > 1.)http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cheetahtemplate/
I'll have a good look tomorrow what this will buy us. Ian,
can you sum up in a few words exactly how you plan to use
Cheetah - what advantages does it bring in ?

If I understand things correctly it is a parser for
templates so it would replace our custom "engines". We'd
still need to write the templates ourselves (of course).
Which seems to make the claim "Cheetah supports any text
format" an obvious, moot point. What remains is that it
parses the template and transforms placeholders into data.
Which can just as easily be done with stock Python string
replacement (%s stuff). The one point I can see is that it
seems to allow adding *logic* into the template - am I right
there ?

So, can you give a practical example of how we would use
Cheetah and what we would gain from it over stock Python.

Mind you, I'm not against using it. I missed finding the
obvious advantage yet.