Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed at LinuxworldExpo

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed at LinuxworldExpo
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:16:28 +0100

On Friday 11 November 2005 20:13, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Despite any disagreement on GNUmed's presentability to the general public
> we have the chance to showcase GNUmed in the medical area of LinuxworldExpo
> Franfurt. Come see us at LWE from 15th to 17th. We are there to chat with
> you about GNUmed as well as to show off what we have.
>
> A Live CD based on KNOPPIX will be available.
>
> If you plan on going to LinuxWorld I still have a bunch of free tickets.
The three days at LinuxworldExpo have been quite interesting. Many many people
have showed up with a wide range of ideas. We were able to show off GNUmed
0.1 thereby impressing many people. Others have been skeptic but unable to
deny the shortcomings of commercial software. Quite a few bootable CDs have
been given out to interested parties.
With the defined feature set GNUmed 0.1 has we were quite able to counter the
constant phrase that GNUmed is "not ready". People generally seem to
understand the need for structured documentation but are absolutely not used
to it since commercial software ignores it completely.

Talks have shown that a great deal of educating collegues needs to be
undertaken. Many doctors and vendors are simply not used to think about the
responsibility they have when entering data into software. Many tales can be
told but essentially GNUmed will lead the way to a new understanding of what
computers can do in a medical practice.

With GNUmed 0.2 on the horizon we are getting closer to engaging into
cooperations with commercial vendors. Fruitful or not those meetings spread
the word and potentially produce some code. We have been offered programming
ressources but need to spell out the details. It would be the responsibility
of the project to lay out tasks to be completed.

To sum it up. There are interested parties as well as ressources outside the
internet community. IMHO GNUmed would benefit from more public exposure -
even now.

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hilbert