Re: [Gnumed-devel] CPR feature idea

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] CPR feature idea
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:34:16 +0100

On Sunday 20 November 2005 12:38, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> [...]
Connect the computer to the phone system and it will call /page - notify
whoever you want and put you on loud speaker when someone has been reached.
All this will soon be standard. VOIP will no longer be for geeks.

> Keep it sweet and simple means also do not duplicate things that already
> exist and are better/sufficiently done by other means.
That is not the point. What you would need is a phone with a big button
labelled emergency and a backend(phone system) that supports it. Isuppose
none of us has a phone system that work like that. One could do this via
Asterisk but who actually has done it?

So phone is an option but certainly not the only one and certainly not the
best one. Do you have any idea how long it takes to notify more than one room
by phone unless you have some sophisticated phone system.

Imagine it takes 10 seconds to dial and shout emergency. By this time you have
not told the other doctor and or affiliated health anything about

what is wrong
where
how long since the incidence started
Who else repsonded to the emegercency nurse/doctor

Phone has been there for years but to me is a total waste of time if you have
to notify more than one person. Time you don't have if you do CPR but you
know that.

During my practical year on ICU I have seen many cases where doctors two rooms
away did not know immediately about an emergency and the personell which
responded was not always prepared to handle the situation. I know of a case
where a doctor dropped in on a running CPR  "by accident". Everything went
fine but computers are there anyway. We often don't carry phone sets or
pagers when doing duty.

At least in Germany we spend at least 50% in front of a PC to write referral
letters all day long.

As I understand it we are not talking about replacing shouting and phones. We
are talking about an additional way to use the power of computers to better
patient care.

If you don't need it in your setting, simply switch it off.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany