Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxGlade and edit areas

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxGlade and edit areas
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:41:45 +0100

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 07:20:55PM +1100, Ian Haywood wrote:

> I notice you guys have started using wxGlade. This is good.
Yes, we've been experimenting around with setting up a good,
logical infrastructure on how to carry over wxGlade
generated code into useful classes non-desctructively and
without too much impact on existing code. The concept is
pretty much along the lines that Horst mapped out:

- client/wxg/ holds *.wxg XML files as used by Glade to store GUI layout

- client/wxGladeWidgets holds *.py files generated from client/wxg/*.wxg by
wxGlade

- wxGlade generated base classes are prefixed with "wxg", eg wxgFoo

- application GUI classes in client/wxpython/ inherit base
  classes from client/wxGladeWidgets thereby acquiring
  transparent GUI re-layouting

- for that to work, attribute and method names must be
  defined at the wxGlade level (client/wxg/*.wxg) and
  overriden by application classes (client/wxpython/*.py)

That seems to work out and display a comprehensible,
maintainable structuring of things. We have added the
necessary directories and I also added some READMEs to them.

> I have been playing with gmEditArea and come to the same conclusion,
> what do you think moving the common gnumed functionality to a base class
> which is used in multiple inheritance with the wxGlade class to make
> popups?

> class VaccEditArea (gmEditArea.cEditAreaBase, wxGladeWidgets.wxgVaccEditArea):

Looks good to me. If you want to go ahead with one of the
not yet in use edit areas (say, vaccinations) feel free to
do so. I'd just ask you keep the existing vaccination edit
area code around for the time being (until your solution
has displayed the superiority we expect of it).

I notice you've stalked around vaccination functionality
lately. Is that a concern in your area of real-life work ?