Re: gnu compatibility (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] When & where to present GN

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: gnu compatibility (was Re: [Gnumed-devel] When & where to present GNUmed...)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:45:41 +0100

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 10:26:10AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

I suppose Syan didn't intend to put down that other package
just because of non-GNUness.

> The "other" software
> - cannot put a wrapper around the GPL software giving the illusion of
> authorship / ownership
> - cannot blend/use/copy any of the open sourced code into their own code base
> - (probably) cannot ship / distribute them as a "coupled" application
right

> But if the databases were directly accessible, there is no reason the
> "other" software would be in license violation to directly query, or
> write to, an open source EMR database.
Unless the "open source" license forbids it. The GPL does
not forbid that AFAICT.

> In the case of GNUmed, where we discourage (or somehow disallow?)
Neither, neither discourage (well, yes, but) nor disallow.

We couldn't actually disallow, technically.

> direct access, there is no reason either GNUmed or the "other"
> software cannot pass data to each other.
I agree.

> It seemed to me Karsten had
> added, to gnumed, the ability to be accessed by (or to access)
> third-party software,
Yes. It's there. It's going to undergo testing before
release of 0.2 as it's not just a supported feature
documenting our goodwill anymore (as it was in 0.1) but
rather an actively deployed part of 0.2. I am referring to
the XML-RPC interface combined with the XDT file parser. It
allows to enter patients into GNUmed by way of a well
defined text file and also allows remote-controlling the
wxPython reference client GUI.