Re: [Gnumed-devel] remote control GNUmed

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] remote control GNUmed
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:10:40 -0800

At 11:46 PM +0100 11/27/05, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
This software is capable of calling external programs. GNUmed will be running
in the backgroud all the time. Once you call a di[git]al document ( GNUmed
Archive aka librarian ) from this commercial software it will raise GNUmed,
select the corresponding patient and display the digital document like a fax,
referral letter, you name it. No user interaction whatsoever. It will feel
like a part of the 3rd party software.

There are two potential directions for "calling" and "remote control", my guess is that the main use case (at least in the early days of GNUmed including future v 0.2 "librarian") will be to let the third-party apps control GNUmed and not the other way around.

Below I will write "legacy" as it's simpler than "third-party". But I recognize we could be talking about software that is being actively maintained.

When called as "slave", GNUmed must expect/require login credentials based on whichever user of the legacy app is "calling" right? Or is that intended to be bypassed? Because I would think that when patient identity or demographic information is created or modified in GNUmed, even by remote-control, there is value being able to attribute (record) those changes as having been made by the responsible individual. And so if the legacy app cannot pass this information as part of the "call" to GNUmed, then the user would need to enter their GNUmed credentials before their "call" would be answered?

And once that "call" were completed, what would happen to that instance of GNUmed? Would it timeout after inactivity based on whatever configuration is in GNUmed but provided there is sufficient periodic activity it would persist *but* remain responsive only to that user's processes via legacy app?

Would it be important that the legacy app's hooks --- upon logout or inactivity timeout user who called GNUmed --- kill the called GNUmed instance?

And suppose any particular user, whose activity in the legacy app had called GNUmed as slave, wanted to browse GNUmed to further examine a patient' s information (or to input directly into modules that make no sense to run from inside the legacy app) --- would the user just bring the already-running instance of GNUmed into the foreground? Or does anything about the GNUmed "slave" instance prevent it being used normally, meaning the user would have to launch a second (i.e. non-slave) instance of GNUmed?