Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:01:59 +0100

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 22:08, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Well, no need for this Upload stuff.  Just use CVS and as you are using it
> for other stuff.  A cron job can do the upload.
I understand that. Problem being is editing HTML in a text environment is a
pain in the butt. There are tools no doubt, but I am to lazy to use those
just to fix a typo or decribe an new module. Linking to new pages is handled
by a Wiki automatically. All that make *me* not use it.
> At least this is basically
> the way Debian websites are created (not that I would say that the Debian
> pages are an example for good web pages - but the way they are created was
> reasonable in the days were the project was young - much larger than
> GNUmed).
They put in the effort. I value their effort. Sorry. I am lazy.

> But do all these HTML-supporters do not have CVS access anyway?  If not
> I'll stop immediately arguing.
They do not. You argument is still valid.

> > I partly agree. Wiki still makes it loads easier to edit the content in a
> > timely fashion.
>
> Sure.  My question here is: Do you want to support editors or readers?
I want to support *me*. So the editor for the time being. GNUmed should cater
for the reader. I am not going to. Not much can be done about that unless
someone else ... :-)

> > I 'd say yes. Am I going to create those pages ? Nope. Sorry for that.
> > Am I going on about the Wiki ? Sure thing.
>
> Well, if I understand you right there are certain technical problems with
> the Wiki that leaves you alone without any documentation.  If you would
> have at least a HTML dump of the Wiki ...
Excellent idea. I didn't think of it until a few hours ago. So now I need to
install a Wiki locally and produce a html dump. Very good idea. If there
wasn't my thesis, version 0.2 ... But hey I started so I shouldn't complain.
None make me put my time into GNUmed. Note to myself: Stop wasting bandwidth.

> > But you actually made me think. Time permitting I will install a local
> > copy on my PC to be able to edit content until we can go live again.
>
> That's what I wanted to say.
That's why I like those discussion or flames as some call it.

> > I value your input. Always gives me a chance to rethink chronic
> > situations.
>
> I guess this is my main role in the project. ;-)

More power to you.

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hilbert