Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: get something done
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:45:57 +0100 (MET)

Well, that's at least a starting point. I guess we can come up with more of
it.
> > Nevertheless, I'm
> > convinced that there *are* people in GnuMed that have a clear vision of
> > what GnuMed should achieve.
> E-Mail them to the list or me.
Ask your brother :). Ask Ian. Ask Richard. Ask ...

>I will create a page vision
> or
> something and add names or each individual linking to the individual's
> vision. Start writing now if you can so we have something ready when the
> wiki
> comes back to life.
OK, I will try to put something down soon.

> > True. There are specs, but we never took time to get a revision
> everybody
> > could live with. Which is sad, because this eventually means that all
> good
> > points which were raised in discussion will be buried in tons of mails.
> This is really sad. Let's form a team of volunteers to extract this
> information. Jim has done a great jon but cannot do it all alone. I will
> go
> back and try to extract everything that has been said on lab specs and
> archive specs.
>
> I challenge everyone else to pick a task.
I will try to come up with some spec framework where we can sort items in.

> Doesn't happen very often. I know the specs. I don't write them down.
> I always thought specs are there so someone else can follow them and code.
> always thought that once I am done with a plugin it does what I need so I
> don't need to write down specs.
Sure, if you will ever be the only one who will touch this part of code,
this might be ok. But I for myself don't want to code the same thing all my
life.

> > need. 2. Written specs help you and others talk about the part of
> software
> > you are writing.
> True if more than one person is working on the same thing which does not
> happen with GNUmed. That's why I am a fan of defining small projects.
Nevertheless, GNUmed is a collaborative project and even single modules
should match the whole framework of the software (backend, other modules).
IMHO only few modules are really completely independent.

> people will follow. By the way Hilmar, you have some code in there as
> well.
Fair enough, I should start this whole effort. I'm sure I will need
collaboration on what the requirements are, say, for the drug browser.

> > the project team. GnuMed will probably not need an industry-strength
> > development process.
> Au contraire. It needs industry strength development process plus an
> experienced lead who acts like a dictator.
I can't really agree with you here. Teams lead by dictators only work if the
others are forced to stay in the team by some means. Which doesn't exist in
a voluntary open source project. We probably need somebody who has a clear
idea on what is to do next and who can motivate everyone to give its best.
Which is no easy task.

> > IMHO there is a vision (see above). Something you can put in two-three
> > phrases.
> I still cannot see the vision. What I can see is a vision of how parts of
> GNUmed should look like. That's what I would call specs.
To me, the vision is the goal of the project, e.g. "a software for medical
doctors outside of hospitals that should provide as much of functionality as
possible and should be able to interoperate with and integrate
third-party-software".

> > I don't see a problem if modules are done one by another. Just that I
> would
> > like to see specs for every module that gets coded.
> I will write those for my modules. It will slow down GNUmed even more than
> it
> does now but that's what most people on this list seem to want. I consider
> this as an experiment. if it doesn't work i can always go back to the

I guess it won't slow it down too much. You don't have to be perfect.
Usually, 80% of work take 20% of time. Having a 80% finished spec is betten
than none.

> 1st) document you own stuff
> 2nd) interview Karsten, Carlos, Ian , Richard, Horst, Liz, Jim, Syan ( yes
> forgot people). Come up with questions and publish the interview as specs.
> Sounds like a plan for a start.
Sounds all right to me. As soon as I find time, I will begin to start this
work together with Richard, Jim and everybody who wants to join us.

Hilmar

--
Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX supergünstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate für nur 4,99 Euro/Monat*  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl