Re: [Gnumed-devel] Project Management (Again)

From: Syan Tan
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Project Management (Again)
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 12:12:05 +0800

since gnumed is more than half built, largely by karsten, may be backpeddling to requirements documentation

is too early in the spiral ; the first cycle of the spiral process isn't quite finished ( or the second ) , and I think

requirements documentation can go into the next cycle.   despite some people hating the most popular emr in oz,

it's still got an interface that can be emulated , and some possible subprojects come to mind ;

- build a "clone" emr that uses gnumed as a backend ; all the requirements are concretely stated because we

are "reinventing the wheel" ; no one has a copyright on tabs, lists, popup menus etc

- vaccinations ; medications; referrals ; and a unified document viewer ( 2 gps in oz have written software to hijack the common

unsorted results in box view;  one person wrote the a  secretary at front desk to gp in consultation messaging deliverer for the

results in box, and another person wrote a scanned image wrapper for the in box, which suggests people find a unified in box

for results, documents, and messages better than different tabs for each , as a user interface feature ) .

- checkbox export of any items accessible in an emr browse tree to a  referral letter.

- wrt to a unified clin_medications ,  only if everyone wants one ; otherwise why not reinvent it several times depending on locality?

it would be a lot quicker , and Karsten doesn't mind, ( he just won't use it , and can market his own later, if he wishes).

- with respect to a clone,   instead of mass transfering from one emr to another,

you could write a frontend that calls an intermediate backend that calls gnumed backend , and one that reads/updates

the original backend ( the file format doesn't seem to be too difficult ).  This way, you could maintain the original backend

, reverting to it with the updated data if needed,  wean people onto gnumed,  and  leech the data into a gnumed database.

On Fri Dec 2 8:18 , J Busser sent:

I have compiled some links that may be useful
(below). Suggest Richard, Hilmar and anyone else
interested to put together any ideas offline
email me and we can pursue a thread offline.
Better to do that and then come back to the group
with how anything we might like to see can be
made *feasible* especially recognizing the
limited numbers of participants. We can shape
what needs to be done (ultimately if not
immediately) and then within that what is
possible in the shorter term. My initial thoughts
include:

Vision - visit openehr, also free software
foundation? We have a bit in FAQs at gnumed.org

Values

Guiding principles - not *what* is to be done but
on what basis we make decisions. There may be
competition among the reasons. Recognizing this
and visiting the list when we feel conflicted
permits thoughtful deliberate choices.

Prioritization principles

Requirements

Management "pieces" - what is to be "managed"?
There is the roadmap (which should be guided by
all I mentioned above), there is the need to
align and keep consistent the pieces in the
roadmap including gui consistency in visual
context, keybindings etc. But there are more
things outside and around the software to be
managed.

TASKey® TEAM - Turning Vision Into Reality
http://www.taskey.com/Doing.htm

STSC CrossTalk - What Is Agile Software Development? - Oct 2002
http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2002/10/highsmith.html

Overcoming Requirements Modeling Challenges
http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/requirementsChallenges.htm

Estimating software requirements (among other topics)
http://www.rgalen.com/presentations.htm

Roadblocks and Speeding your software to Market
http://www.grapecity.com/us/pdf/whitepaper_us.pdf

10KeysToSuccess.pdf
http://www.issre2001.org/10KeysToSuccess.pdf

e-Course: Project Management Best Practices $295
http://www.processimpact.com/PMBP/

Course description Delivering Results Through Project Management
http://www.processrenewal.com/courses/sdpm98.html

Integrating Usability Techniques into Software Development ($) article
http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp\?resourcePath=/dl/mags/so/&toc=comp/mags/so/2001/01/s1toc.xml&DOI=10.1109/52.903166

PM community (basic membership free)
http://www.gantthead.com/loginMain.cfm\?action="">

Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for
Software Project Leaders - $31.49
http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp\?isbn=0321268776&rl=1