Re: [Gnumed-devel] Project Management (Again)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Project Management (Again)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:31:18 +0100

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 12:12:05PM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

> despite some people hating the most popular emr in oz,
> it's still got an interface that can be emulated
That's exactly how things could work. We make the backend as
good as possible and use several more or less hated
frontends to interface with it.

> - build a "clone" emr that uses gnumed as a backend ; all the requirements are
> concretely stated because we are "reinventing the wheel" ;
Sounds doable.

> no one has a copyright on tabs, lists, popup menus etc
I'd be careful. There just may be patents/copyright on the
way tabs, lists, etc are arranged for use.

> - vaccinations ;
They can be worked on fairly quickly. A lot of thought/work
has gone into them already.

> unified document viewer
Would also be achievable fairly quickly.

> ( 2 gps in oz have written software to hijack the common
> unsorted results in box view;
> one person wrote the a-secretary-at-front-desk
> to gp-in-consultation messaging deliverer for the
> results in box,
> and another person wrote a scanned image wrapper for the in
> box,
> which suggests people find a unified in box
> for results, documents, and messages better than different tabs for each , as
> user interface feature ) .
Our backend is starting to support that.

> - checkbox export of any items accessible in an emr browse
> tree to a referral letter.
I would write a dedicated tree browser for selection. But
yes, a nice feature. It'd need to work keyboard-only.

> - wrt to a unified clin_medications ,  only if everyone wants one ; otherwise
> why not reinvent it several times depending on locality?
It's surely more useful to have unified clin_medication.
However, I do believe careful reinvention will lead to that eventually.

> it would be a lot quicker , and Karsten doesn't mind, ( he just won't use it ,
> and can market his own later, if he wishes).
Exactly.