Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres: which one (or many) under Debian, to instal

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres: which one (or many) under Debian, to install or upgrade
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:52:03 +0100

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 09:50, J Busser wrote:
> Under Debian Sarge, the command
>
> apt-cache policy postgresql
>
> gives me
>
> postgresql:
>    Installed: 7.4.5-3
>    Candidate: 7.4.7-6sarge1
>    Version Table:
>       7.4.7-6sarge1 0
>          500 http://debian.savoirfairelinux.net sarge/main Packages
>   *** 7.4.5-3 0
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> So:
>
> 1. if I run apt-get update, will 7.4.7-6sarge1 replace my existing
> postgres, and can I do that regardless of whether GNUmed has been
> loaded, and the gnumed bootstrap done (I have not yet done these
> other things, I am just asking now, instead of later).
It will replace your existing postgresql. In some cases manual cleanup is
needed. That means if you have a database in operation it *might* be
neccessary to dump the data and schema und then restore it into the newly
created postgres. If you have to do this should be in the docs for the
upgrade.

Right now there has not been a need to do so since I re-bootstrapped once I
had a new postgres. But if you are running postgres on a production machine
you shouldn't upgrade just so. If you must you are good with pg_dump /
pg_restore. That is the preferred method.

I have done so for a 4GB database. It worked quite well.

?
?
> postgresql-autodoc
need for automatically generating documentation off a GNUmed database
we use this already ( Wiki)
> postgresql-client
you need that
?
> postgresql-dev
development part. Might be needed if you compile stuff around postgresql
yourself. Such as compiling pgadmin3 from source.
> postgresql-doc
the docs. They will tell you what to do after an upgrade
> postgresql-pl
needed
?
> postgresql-plruby
? ruby binding, not needed in our case
> postgresql-test
test stuff to test postgres. rather not needed I gues

Most of the stuff will be pulled as dependencies.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany