[Gnumed-devel] natural language parsing

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] natural language parsing
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:49:53 -0800

A friend (actually, the same person who is in a position to share some local lab fetcher code) asked me the following. I recall it being discussed on-list but wonder if anyone ever got as far as pulling together any methodology who might care to discuss it with my friend, and/or can point to a suitable approach?

And/or is it something people care to discuss on-list?

Hi Jim,

I'm wondering whether you know of anyone, or even yourself (I know you're
busy so don't lose too much sleep over it) that has knowledge of natural
language parsing into SNOMED and LOINC codifications. I'm currently
finishing off the basic stuff in the EMR and would like to get into some of
the fun stuff.

I have done a lit search and found an article which describes couplet
searching, i.e. taking a term like "pneumoccocal bacterial pneumonia" by
searching "pneumococcal bacterial" and "bacterial pneumonia" consecutively.