Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed brochures (was When will GNUmed be re

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed brochures (was When will GNUmed be ready)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:44:59 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I don't believe that your goals depend on your audience in any way. Maybe
you will describe them differently, the goals itself should remain the same.

 > I really doubt that you will attract anyone without telling him what
> GNUmed
> > is supposed to be (project vision).
> True. We disagree on the scope or definition of vision.
> I envision short term goals.
Which is only possible because someone (I guess it were Horst, Karsten, Ian,
Richard ) a long time ago had a vision of what they wanted to build.

> > I agree that we will have to tell what parts are ready. Still, IMHO the
> > vision is the most important part of the message.
> We still disagree. Vision is good for investors and academic people.
How can I convince you that having a clear vision of what you want to build
is no marketing buzz or academic nonsense ?
If you build a house, you will sit down first and make a plan of what you
need exactly. Then you ask an architect to make a plan of how the house will
look like and how it will be built.
The same goes for software engineering. First there is a vision (a goal),
then you make up your specs, then you start to code.
Without a clear vision, your specs will be wrong (written down or not),
which will finally result in useless code.

> Doesn't
> help doctors a bit. Just read facharzt.de (German) and you will get a
> feeling
> for the issues that bother doctors. They want solutions now.
There is no way to good solutions without hard thinking before, I guess.

> They are fed up with vaporware. Universities produce vapoware all the
time.
Sure, Universities are supposed to produce good science, not good software
applications.

> Ask any doctor in Leipzig. They don't care sh.. about GNUmed's long term
> goals.
I guess the doctors do care for what Gnumed will be able to do finally. They
just want to know if right now GNUmed matches their idea (=vision) of what a
medical software should look like.

Hilmar