[Gnumed-devel] Software Engineering

From: Daniel Minahim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Software Engineering
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:42:32 -0200

Hi again guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome! (OOS: I have a feeling germans will be very
extraordinary hosts/adversaries for the brazilians in the world cup)

Let's take small steps, from my point of view the GNUMed seems to have been
put together using what in SE is called 'rapid prototyping'.

1) You've established the wishlist
2) Gathered some readily available technology to fit it
3) Implement something with it
4) Check what went wrong and go back to 1

I feel inclined to move it to more professional approaches like Aspect/Object
Oriented Design (!= oo programing). That has more to do with the way you
think before you do it, got it?

The ER diagram should have been ready before the SQL, it seems to me you guys
took a mixed top-down/bottom-up approach and may get tangled with the
details. The developer manual is focused mostly on describing what you have
already done, not HOW it should be done.

The DB is growing a lot and getting more complex and confusing right? I agree
with normalizations and performance minded approaches for non open source
design. I think clarity and organizing should be taken it account too.

We'll keep in touch
Daniel