Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed brochures (was When will GNUmed be re

From: Richard Hosking
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed brochures (was When will GNUmed be ready)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:11:53 +0800

The Gnumed project development cycle could be likened to one of the modern "agile" software development methodologies A "prototype" is developed (which may or may not be a working program - it could be a paper protoype) which is then evaluated and changes proposed to improve the current design, and the cycle begins again. This stuff is not just theoretical - it is widely used by commercial software developers to speed the development cycle. I dont have the skills of many in the forum, though they are slowly improving. I find the code in Gnumed almost totally impenetrable (which doesnt mean it is badly constructed - it is just me) , and I doubt I could add much of value to the coding without fairly intensive direction.

I would not see Gnumed as a viable alternative in Australia in it's current form - it needs accounting, a front desk module and prescribing. As it is, it is of academic interest only to Australian Drs. It appears that the work required to achieve these other components may be insurmountable.

It will be difficult to produce the functionality of alternatives, so it will have to offer something new to compete - I see cost and freedom from Windows with all it's licensing issues as the big drawcards. A proper robust database design and internet/network scalability are other (major!) pluses, but most Drs would not necessarily see this as a great advantage.

I think perhaps coding should stop and the "evaluation" part of the cycle should be looked at - what do we (and other users) want? Does the current software achieve this? If not, what are the priorities and who will do the work? By "management" of the project I would think we mean tracking this process, and to certain extent directing (and assisting if necessary) those interested to do certain tasks in a coordinated way

Richard