Re: [Gnumed-devel] UML for GNUmed

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] UML for GNUmed
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:40:25 -0800

At 12:55 AM -0200 12/19/05, Daniel Minahim wrote:
As what tools I currently using:
Modeler: Umbrello 1.4.2 (i have argouml 0.19)
Python: v2.3
Reverse modeling: None!! This a major research. We probably will have to come
up with one for the Postgres SQL and another for Python (PyReverse?).
Graphics: You'd generate those inside the modelling tool, neither Umbrello nor
ArgoUML can do those from command line.

What Linux distro/version are you using? (I am still newbyish, use mostly some Macs, but also have a Debian Sarge box I am getting to know, plus an unused Mac partition I hope to try dual booting with Debian for PowerPC when I get a chance).

2) We'll use UML 2.0 to make the models and .xmi file format to exchange them.

As far as UML 2.0, is that something that can only be done later (hoping that Umbrello will remain backward compatible and up-version existing files later?)

umbrello FAQs say at http://uml.sourceforge.net/faq.php
Versions before 1.4 used a file format that was only very loosely based on XMI and was not compatible with other UML programmes. Version 1.4 can read the static structure elements from most other UML tools which use XMI 1.x. However, currently Umbrello cannot import XMI 2.0 or UML-DI (Diagram Interchange.)

argouml FAQs say at http://argouml.tigris.org/faqs/users.html#uml_versions

ArgoUML versions through version 0.18.1 support UML 1.3. Beginning with version 0.20 in early 2006, ArgoUML will support UML 1.4.
Support of UML 2.0 probably won't happen until a new version of JMI is defined which supports UML 2.0 and there is an open source implementation which supports it.

- I gather Umbrello runs only on Linux
- argouml has a downloadable .tar usable (at least to view the .xmis) on Macs and Windows if anyone on the list does not have/use Linux