prescription widget, was: Re: [Gnumed-devel] When & where to present GNU

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: prescription widget, was: Re: [Gnumed-devel] When & where to present GNUmed e.g. IEEE Symposium? Role of 'Papers'?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:06:52 +0100

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 06:43:54PM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

> What is the requirement details for prescribing ?
>
> - the most superficial is sufficient detail when outputting a prescription
> print on script paper.
> e.g. where i work,   what seems to be minimal detail is prescriber name,
> prescriber locatiion, prescriber identification number,
> script number - q ? what is this and how is it generated  -    the drug name
> and drug strength, package description, amount
> prescribed and repeats, and dosing instruction, which might as well be free
> text, although some would like to "atomize" this further.
> In the past, prescription module attempts seem to be poo-poohed as being
> oversimplified, not general enough, not international enough

It just dawned on me that this is probably not too bad an
approach. "Proper" prescribing is definitely very complex.
So that warrants trying to do something that isn't as
complex as a first step. We contemplate doing the same with
billing: do the easy billing methods first, then do the hard
ones. So why not actually have a prescription module that
simply gets the job done (within in the framework) of
getting prescribed items on paper and not worry about *any*
legal requirements in the first place ?

Syan, would you be interested in such an attempt ? I would
recommend accompanying this embarkment with some modelling
as seems to be useful from the recent discussions. Eg do a
simple model of how the simple prescription widget should
work. Then do it.