Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed alternative development model

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed alternative development model
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:56:04 +0100

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 01:55:24PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> Should a priority among use cases be for what is already roadmapped,
I would think so, yes. However, if someone implements a use
case there's no use stopping them.

> Is an inventory of use cases  (.xmi files) meant to be manageable
> inside something like CVS or Subversion?
Yes, hopefully so.

> complex (or to create a barrier for "basic" users)
Well, CVS is a requirement for aspiring developers anyways.
*Visualizations* of the XMI stuff should be published on the
web, however, and linked from the Wiki.

> What "combining value" will the UML'd use cases (.xmi files) have,
> other than through manual processing?
Well, basically one would model use cases independantly of
any actual implementation details. A middleware or frontend
designer would then take images of those models and take his
turn in modelling the frontend/middleware from the use
cases. They would serve as pointers towards needed
functionality.

That's pretty much how the current codebase came into being.
Except that all the models were in my head.

> I have available a spreadsheet developed by my health region ---
> which I understand I can share --- listing 1500 functional
> requirements for EMR software to support 10 clinics from a single
> central server or asp model.
It'd be interesting to the modellers to look at that. It'd
also be interesting - if for sheer curiosity - to find out
whether our current capabilities are well within those
requirements ...