Re: [Gnumed-devel] re vaccination batch no

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re vaccination batch no
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:47:20 +0100

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 05:27:53AM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

> practically speaking, there are sometimes when there is not enough time
> to be parsimonious about using the oldest vaccine in the fridge, just enough
> enought time to check it hasn't expired.
I agree.

> Last batch number storage is a UI
> specific feature, and probably should not be stored in the schema,
I agree in principle. Do you suggest we remove the field ?

> and it encourages people to
> enter the wrong batch number anyway.
Why ? It's not a serial. The batch number is likely to be
correct for the "next few" shots. However, you probably mean
that people are to "lazy" as in "busy" to do anything beyond
hitting <enter>. I agree with that.

The proper solution is, of course, to do "true" stock
inventory tracking - at least for vaccines. IOW enter the
batch numbers and how many units are available and then
track depletion of the stock. We might want/need to consider
that for the release that's going to handle vaccinations.

Are you actively working on getting vaccination handling
into a particular release ?