Re: [Gnumed-devel] Creating gnumed with sqls alone

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Creating gnumed with sqls alone
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:27:02 +0100

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:06:24AM +1100, Ian Haywood wrote:

> > You will also need to make sure you generate all the audit
> > trail/notification functions and triggers.
> If you want to attach to a gnumed client.
Audit trail triggers are supposed to be there regardless.
Else one would forego one original goal of GNUmed, accountability.

> I think what Richard is trying to do is load an gnumed instance to examine in
> his
> new shiny postgres RAD tool.
There's always the public database as well as dumps thereof
available on the Wiki.

> I can confirm latest CVS works,
Good. However, it may find a couple of errors in functions
when check_function_bodies is set to true.

> but the script does require an experienced operator.
Well, driving a truck requires knowing how.

> Ideally, we should have one executable in bootstrap/, with
> an obvious name: "run_me.py" or somesuch.
I don't think it's a clever idea to make it appear easy for
people who don't read documentation. We do have quite
detailed and accurate documentation thanks to Jim.

> It presents 2 menus: version and locale (which includes
> "Starfleet medical command" to install test data)
This would imply/suggest (particularly the "locale" part)
they are re-runnable at will - which they could be but
aren't at the moment.

Eventually, yes, we do need a much better database
maintenance tool.